"Sa-curity! Sa-cur-ity!"

I wish I had the ability to see things a bit more black and white. Instead, I see people and the gray matter that exists when they get involved (often, perhaps, because of the lack of grey matter within their skulls). Thus, I have a hard time making a decision to take a stand for something for which I could be quite wrong. But sometimes, the dichotomy is just too obvious between what is horribly visible in today’s “Christian culture” and the reality of the Word for me to be silent. Excuse me in advance for my sarcasm, I do realize it’s quite unbecoming, but straightforward anger is here, so I figured you might as well have an “lol” moment or two.

Mmkay, so I was at a Christian concert/event about a month ago and I saw/heard a few things that deeply disturbed me. The first couple of bands came and played, then the first speaker came up to the stage to pray. He matter-of-factly reminded us, “The two greatest symbols of freedom still in this world today are old glory and the old rugged cross.” Nausea and heartburn overtook me (and it wasn’t because of the nachos…).

I’m sorry, dear Christian patriot, but America and Jesus are not equivalent.

Funny, no, ironic, too that we should be having such an event in a coliseum, a vestige of Rome’s might, wealth, and power. We had filled it to the brim with middle and high school students and their youth pastors/workers. It’s all in the name of Christ (I doubt He would have claimed it for His name), but I’ll tell you, I was ready to overturn those merchandise tables. The “Gospel” was presented and a bunch of precious young ‘uns prayed the “sinner’s prayer”. I really wonder what other new-wave gospel was being proclaimed that I have believed for the majority of my life…what shiny, flag-donning “god” those kids gave their hearts and lives over to…

And then, after talking to a few of you, I was reminded at how I’ve believed that very statement of ridiculousness in the past. “To be a Christian in America is to be thoroughly American. Pledge allegiance to the flag of an earthly kingdom- Jesus would! (and what of those early Christians who pledged no king but Jesus?) I never had a problem seeing the flag of this nation on the alter in front of the cross (because clearly they‘re equivalent). The enemies of America are my enemies and therefore we should kill them! Materialism! Prosperity! More wealth for the wealthy - let’s make it harder for the poor (because the Bible clearly says nothing about them…). If the poor really wanted to change they’d work harder and stop relying on the government (yeah, the American way again). The homeless? The orphan? The widow? The nations and peoples that my country wars against? The prisoners? The captives? The hungry? The forgotten? The elderly who can’t afford next month’s medicines? Even the environment?* What of them and what should I care?” I mean, really, I believed this stuff.

But it’s not the Gospel.

In a memoir of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (who was killed during Hitler‘s reign), Leibholz writes that Bonhoeffer owed his “allegiance [solely]…to God…[that even] nationalism stands under God and that it is a sin against Him and His call for fellowship…if it degenerates into national egotism and greed. Men can lose their country…” He goes on to say of Bonhoeffer that he “raised the claims of a higher loyalty than the national.”

I’m done with having a conflict of loyalties. I want Jesus.

If this sounds a little anti-American, perhaps it is. But I would much rather be accused of not following my country than not following my Savior.


At any rate, I really do wish I had turned over those merchandise tables. It would have at least made for a lovely youtube video…and a night or two in jail.





*This is not intended whatsoever to make political claims on how to fix these social issues. They’re big problems and they’re much bigger than fixated party lines. I’m also not advocating giving up on these social problems - I think, as Christians, we are to struggle with them and seek what God would want for this world He’s created (which includes ALL people and the whole of the environment). The Republicans don’t have the answers. The Democrats don’t have the answers. The conservatives, the liberals, and the moderates don’t have the answers. But Jesus does, and as cliché-ridden as that sounds, I believe it would make a world of a difference if we followed Him alone.

Comments

when are you going to start blogging regularly?
Courtney said…
I know...I'm slow. I'm trying to get used to blogger. It's got a lot of things that are frustrating just cuz I'm not used to it. But enough excuses...sigh...

Popular Posts