I bought a shack by the sea and waited for a hurricane to carry me away...



Hi. How ya been? The moon has waned and waxed and I've allowed the occurrences between the changing cosmos to escape undocumented. A little sad, I know. Without a doubt, much has happened since my last post (I mean, graduation was the least of the excitement). I keep thinking to myself what watershed days these are - every moment is a threshold one - something is about to happen.

Do you ever wonder why God seems/is most quiet when we need Him most - when our hearts and minds are so far from Him and when temptation is real and seems so good - why He's most silent then and there? I mean, I know the whole "no temptation has seized you except what is common to man...He is faithful and will provide a way of escape" - but what about those moments when you don't want to escape and you have way too much to lose?


You know what it's like to get so comfortable with someone that you really imagine a future with them? You start making life plans with them, share your financial details, meet their ENTIRE family and friends (them meet nearly ALL of yours), go on outings to make memories, etc, etc, etc and then God completely reminds you of something He told you in the beginning: He's not right for you.

The awakening came from this: I'm the manager of a little locally owned pizza shop in my hometown. Awhile ago, two 30-something-year-old men came in, ordered, then one pulled out their Mac in the middle of the store and proceeded to show the other guy pictures of the little boy he and his wife adopted from Ethiopia the previous week. (The other guy, by the way, had been in Pretoria, South Africa for the past three years with his wife - yeah, exactly during the time Sarah, Brian, and I were there). I'm telling ya, folks, I was crying by the time adoptive-dad was through telling his story because it reminded me of who I wanted to be before I got side-tracked - it reminded me of the kind of man I want to marry and the kind of community I want to surround myself with.

I know I've probably been far too transparent in this post, but I know you guys are a forgiving crowd and perhaps someone else out there needs to know they're not alone.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh yes. we tend to plan and imagine whole conversations, when our little dreams are nothing compared to His plans. Keep trusting and have faith in His plan for you.
Rebecca said…
oh, how I know! How often I've forgotten the person He's worked so hard to make me, and changed into someone completely absorbed with what seems good for the moment. Thanks for being so honest. It sure is hard to hold onto those impossible desires He gives us and promises to fill -- someday somehow eventually...

Popular Posts