Captive Free, a prayer

Lately I've become so infatuated with the wrong things, lustfully searching for meaning, the next step to take, and that "one" whom I'll take it with. I no longer find greater fault with Israel from the Old Testament, as I'm probably less faithful than they.

God of the desert, of the valley, of the stagnant waters that reek with death...regardless, You are still God, even here. Fetter this vagabond heart to You, O Lord, captivate this transient's ways. For at waking moment, I run from You, lavishing my attention on less worthy lovers. At night's embrace, I do not allow You to be enough for me, not even primary and certainly not solo. You are a jealous God and will not stand for this whoring of my heart and attention. Would You capture my heart and hide it in You?

As Donne says, "Except You enthrall me, never shall be free, nor ever chaste, except You ravish me."

I know that You've got an amazing guy for me - someone who is complementary for me in ways I can't imagine; someone who leads me ever-closer to You. I know this is soon.
But I must let go of this thought go and hold ever-tighter to You. My spirit's Lover, imprison my heart, enslave my soul, make captive my mind, for only then am I free. O Lord, captivate me.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Oh girl, my heart agrees.

Popular Posts